All Final Fantasy products are registered trademarks or trademarks of Square Enix.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Final Fantasy 14

I’m not sure what to think about this game.  I’m one of those guys that have been playing through the FF series since FF1 on the NES and have been an avid, loyal fan.  The earlier games used to be challenging, creative, massive, interesting but most of all…..fun!!  As much of a fan that I am of the grand FF franchise, I have to honestly say that they have been slowly regressing when it comes to story quality and fun.  The graphics have gotten better but the stories have been more……..lame?  I think that’s the right word to describe it.  Boring would be more accurate but not really.  A game that looks better but lacks a real point or has more ‘shock and awe’ moments but less substance would be the most accurate way to describe Final Fantasy 14 compared to former Final Fantasy games.
Any way you look at it, it doesn’t ‘feel’ like a Final Fantasy game.  It’s truly sad when the majority of FF fans still say that Final Fantasy 7 was the best FF game (or best game ever) that has ever existed.  Graphics have come a long way but it doesn’t seem that much else has.
However, I don’t think I can abandon the FF genre…yet.  I still hope that Square Enix will see their mistakes and realize that they’re having a ‘teachable moment’.  Even if it’s a very long one.
I don’t think that Final Fantasy is a lost cause.  There are many fun aspects to it but there is something definitely missing that most ‘experienced’ FF players notice.  We want ‘that’ back.


FFXIV_05                      

landscape
TLmPh7eG68b15mhm6O65L4zquhT98r82









I will say that I enjoyed Dragon Age and looking forward to playing Dragon Age 2 as well as Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II and Fable III.  RPGs rock!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment